Thursday, December 10, 2020

It's the Little Things

I teach in a school where a lot of the students have different life experiences than most.  They need a lot of love, patience, understanding, and explaining.  Teaching writing in that situation can sometimes be challenging.  However, at the same time, it is awfully rewarding.  This year has been especially trying.  The kids are either virtual or in person, they've learned to be flexible with being quarantined, evacuating classrooms so they can be cleaned, or having teachers quarantined while the kids are still at school.    Anxiety, fear of being sick, fear of family being sick, not normal holidays, and rules of wearing masks, social distancing, and limited group work are just a few of the issues kids (and adults) are facing in today's schools. The student-teacher connection is even more vital in today's atmosphere.

Often, it's the little things that come across as meaning the most.  The three examples that follow, show just how much that connection means to kids.

1) I was quarantined recently due to Covid exposure.  I taught from home, and with the virtual kids wasn't a problem.  In-person students had a difficult time.  They were concerned as to why I wasn't there (I emailed their parents explaining the reason and how the model would look for the first eight days back from Thanksgiving.  On Monday, they started counting down the days as to when I would be back at school.  Today, each one's face lit up when they saw me in the hall and gave me a hug (I know it broke protocol, but sometimes kids want a hug).  Each one said, "I'm so glad you're back!" in one way or another.  One student gave me a hug, and when I pulled back, he said, "Just a little bit longer, please. I'm so glad you're back.  I missed you." 

2) This week was Middle of the Year (MOY) testing.  Math was on Tuesday, Reading on Wednesday, and Science was today.  I was at home for both of those, and we had to problem solve with a couple of students because the stress was getting to them.  I had to monitor the virtual students, which basically meant that I was available if they had a problem or a question about something.  We couldn't get out of testing mode until everyone was finished. Students who finished, returned to the main room from their breakout rooms when they were ready to turn in the test.  Then they were told they could turn off their video and audio, but stay close to the chat in case I needed them to return before the designated time.  I then gave them a time to check back in and sent them off.  Towards the end though, many students didn't turn off their videos, so it got kind of awkward with everyone staring at them.  Someone suggested a staring contest, but then I pointed out that many of them utilized the selfie screen saver during class thinking that I would think they were still paying attention.  They were surprised to learn that I was on to their antics when I said, "Sweetie.  It's kind of obvious when you don't blink for five minutes straight." So, we decided on a Rock, Paper, Scissors tournament.  It was a fun way to pass the last few minutes of class until I let them go while the other students finished the test in their breakout rooms.


3) This week also saw the acceleration of the writing process that we've been working on.  They were given an option about a topic to write about (it's a TEKS where they have to determine the genre).  Many students chose "Write about your favorite ice cream flavor.  Convince me to get a scoop the next time I get ice cream."  Tuesday, that sparked a conversation about Cookies and Cream ice cream.  One student chose that as his favorite ice cream but struggled thinking of reasons why.  So, the class (on Zoom) got into the spirit and helped him think of reasons it was his favorite.  That led to this conversation:


Student 1: Why do they use Oreos in Cookies and Cream? (What do you mean, was the response from many students).

Student 2: Yeah.  Like, why not other cookie flavors?

Student 3: Well, they already have Cookie dough ice cream, so that's chocolate chip.  What other flavors are there, really?

Student 1: Cookie dough?  What's that?

Me: Well, it's the batter that you either make or buy from the store.  You cut it up and put it into the oven.

Student 2: They have chocolate chip, sugar cookies, and other flavors.

Student 1: I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean.  We just buy cookies already made.

Student 3: Well, why do they put cookie dough in ice cream?  My mom won't let me eat the cookie dough before it's cooked because she says I can get sick.

Me: Well, yes.  Because cookie dough has raw eggs in it.  The cookie dough they put in ice cream doesn't have eggs.

Student 1 is just intrigued by this conversation.  I was reminded of the student who commented on my bean pie that I'd brought to school the day before the Thanksgiving Break (that prompt was about your favorite Thanksgiving food, which many wrote about Macaroni and Cheese).  I baked two bean pies for them and took them to school.  They were able to try it if they wanted, and they were pleasantly surprised.  But one student said he hadn't had pie since he was four, and thanked me for the piece.  

So, I made a cooking video that mixed science, math, and reading while I baked chocolate chip cookies.  I took the class through the entire process of making cookies from scratch, the math in a recipe and problem solving if I didn't have the correct measurement tool and the science behind what goes on in the process and why certain ingredients are used.  I showed them the video today before they tried the cookies.  Student 1 asked for the recipe because he knew that they had the ingredients and he wanted to try it on his own.

The kids were so cute about it.  One told me that I should have my own cooking show, one volunteered to be my cameraperson so they could eat what I made, and they asked questions about the ingredients. They were very nice thanking me for the cookies.  

To me, the Rock, Paper Scissors Tournament, and the cookies were just small things.  But to the students, they probably meant a lot more. 




No comments:

Who would've guessed it?

  Jason used to say, "Don't worry honey.  It'll click for him someday."  Well, that "someday" happened in high s...