Friday, February 5, 2016

The Happy Birthday Grinch

First, let me start off by saying a quick thank you to Kevin.  He patiently endured my birthday grinchness last night, and was understanding and kind.  Even though I was not.

During the days leading up to my birthday I tend to get a bit "grinchy".  I tend not to want to think about what I want to do that is special, nor do I want to think about what kind of cake I want to have.  I don't think about what kind of a present I want, or how I am going to spend my day. I think, I have finally figured out why I don't like birthdays.  It's because I have an opportunity to get older, and enjoy time with my kids and family, It's not because I'm getting older, but in a round about way it is because I am a year older...and Jason isn't.

Now that my day is here, I'm not grinchy.  I enjoy my day, I enjoy the handmade gifts and hugs from my students.  I enjoy the calls from my family, and the surprise treats from friends.  I celebrate that I am a year older, and appreciate the fact that I am a year older.  I hug my kids and family a bit longer, and make memories with them that will last longer than me.

So Happy Birthday to me!  I am a year older, and that is gift enough.


No comments:

Who would've guessed it?

  Jason used to say, "Don't worry honey.  It'll click for him someday."  Well, that "someday" happened in high s...