Friday, January 15, 2021

It's not that I'm NOT a team player.

 Sometimes, my introvertedness and views don't mesh with society.  Take for example the latest event going on at school.  To help encourage Wellness, my building is encouraging people to join a team for what it is deeming as "The Biggest Loser".  To be honest, it's not all about weight. loss There are other categories involved.  I originally wasn't going to join.  When the person came around and asked if I wanted to join, I originally said no.  But the pitch to join in wasn't going to go away until I had said, "yes".  Trust me, I said no.  Several times.  But then, it was mentioned that my entire team was going to participate as a team.  Okay, so now, I'm in a really difficult place.  Don't join, I'm the only one on my team who isn't joining, and that would look bad.  Join, and I'd be participating in something that I couldn't really help with.  I can help with areas other than the weight loss.  But the weight loss part is really difficult for me.  Weight gaining is EASY, weigh losing isn't.  I also weigh differently that the way they're going to do it.  IF I'm EVER going to weigh, I weigh first thing in the morning when I get up, and in the privacy of my own bathroom, wearing the exact same thing every time.  So, doing it at the end of the school day, in the nurse's office, wearing my work clothes isn't going to work for me.  

Another reason I don't join programs like this is because of the under-active thyroid.  I don't process stress the way I should, which increases my cortisol retention.  Stressful environments cause an increase in cortisol production.  I usually lose weight over the summer and Winter Breaks.  Can you guess why?  Spring is always considered Testing Season (and this year is no different).  Expectations increase, pressure increases to have the kids ready, to identify why they are or aren't improving, and what are we going to do about it.  So, usually the time between August and May aren't good times weight-wise for me.  And before anyone says ANYTHING, yes, I've done meditation, yoga, and other activities that should technically help.  But they don't always.  I can work out with weights, but all that does is build muscle on top of the fat (trust me there is a lot of it), which increases the weight, not lessens it.  

So, I'll be helping my team in all areas OTHER than the weight loss.  Hopefully it doesn't hurt us, but I know me.  I know what I can and can't do (that's why working out with a personal trainer doesn't work - I argue with them).  I just wish other people would listen when I talk about why I won't join in on something. It's not that I'm NOT a team player, I just know what I can and can't do in regards to my health.

No comments:

Who would've guessed it?

  Jason used to say, "Don't worry honey.  It'll click for him someday."  Well, that "someday" happened in high s...