Wednesday, March 7, 2012

I'm still trying to acclimate

It's been 3/4 of the year and I'm still trying acclimate to third grade.  Not with the curriculum, mind you, that's going just fine.  It's the reminders that I'm in a lower grade.  For example, Open House is coming up shortly after we return from Spring Break.  In sixth grade, you pretty much didn't have to do anything except have the kids show their parents their journals, research papers, and maybe some other things.  Nothing major at all!  But in third grade, my teaching partner has reminded me that we have to do all of these cutesy projects to have up and ready for Open House.  Mainly because the parents are expecting it.

So I took this one thing that she suggested and turned it into a front-loading math lesson on symmetry.  We haven't talked about it yet, but when we do talk about it I'll be able to use the "Name bugs" as an example.  So that's cool.  But I also have to work it into Science while trying to also get their research papers done.  Sheesh!  Open House is HIGHLY overrated sometimes.

My poor personal children!  I'm usually like, "Okay show me what you've done." and then we're outta there.  Usually its because I have to go back to my Open House, but still.  Maybe I should spend more time in my daughter's class this year.  My son's fifth grade class will probably not have much going on, which is good.

No comments:

Unexpected Wisdom: Hearing Life's Messages in the Unlikeliest of Places

 It's been a little over a year when I made a decision that put me on a path of rediscover.  I recently had an encounter with a former a...