Friday, March 30, 2012

Caroline the Soccer Player

Caroline "retired" from soccer a couple of seasons ago because she wasn't enjoying it.  She'd mention sometimes that she wanted me to sign her up, but never followed through with it.  She did the same thing this year so I missed the sign up time for our local soccer association.  A few weeks after the sign up date passed she asked if I'd signed her up.  We were having a swim date at some friends and after I mentioned that I had missed the sign up date, they suggested Caroline join their team.  They played through the YMCA and have for a few years and really enjoyed it.  I let Caroline go to a practice and she came back extremely excited.  There were several girls from her grade level at school who were on the team and several from her Adventure Guides group.  I ended up signing her up and she has blossomed since then.  She enjoys going to practices and getting time to play with her friends, and she's good at soccer.  She has a strong leg and plays the back field and goalie.  She's got a good sense on when to attack the ball and when to hold back, so I'm hoping she continues with soccer. 

Last night was her first night game and she had a blast.  The team she's on hadn't won any games recently, but they did last night.  Those girls were so excited, but they kept their heads in the game.  Caroline was happy to be a part of it.  She hurt her ankle in practice this week and after a half of playing backfield, she stood back in the goal.  She really liked it, but likes playing out in the field.  Some accidents are meant to happen.  That's how I became goalie.  My coach asked us who wanted to play and I raised my hand.  I didn't get out of the goal until years later when I stopped playing to concentrate on volleyball.  Maybe Caroline's path will be similar, but who knows.  She's having the time of her life right now.

No comments:

Unexpected Wisdom: Hearing Life's Messages in the Unlikeliest of Places

 It's been a little over a year when I made a decision that put me on a path of rediscover.  I recently had an encounter with a former a...