Wednesday, May 25, 2011

What is Important.

Last night, as predicted, the storms marched violently through the DFW area.  While many places were extremely hard hit, the area where I live only received high wind and rain.  The sirens went off a couple of times so we marched to the closet to sit and wait.  The first siren, I believe, was for wind sheer which never amounted to a tornado but could have.  The second siren was for hail, but we didn't see any at our house.

Of course, Mother Nature had to do this during the Dancing With The Stars finals, but we ended up seeing the end which was nice.  Every commercial break had us returning to the ABC affiliate weather center for updates, which although it posed a great learning experience for the kids only added to their panic mode.  So to keep them busy, I had Jack go play his video game and Caroline chose to get the closet ready for us in case we had to duck and cover. 

When the first siren went off and we all headed to our safe area (dogs and all) I first discovered what Caroline had put in our safe area.  It honestly looked like a tornado had gone through it.  There was a blanket, all of her pillow pets, Iggy the Iguana (Jack had gotten it during his hospital stay a year and half ago and then Jason had it with him in the hospital the last time), her plates from Kindergarten and 1st grade, books, art supplies, pillows from her bed, a picture frame my dad had gotten her for her birthday, My sister's schedule board where she puts down days when she'll be at our house for bedtime, and a picture of Caroline and Jason.

All of those things are important to her in some way.  It was interesting to see what she put and try and discover why it was important. 

When the storm was over and I was tucking the kids into bed Caroline said another prayer for the evening.  She thanked her dad for staying with us during the storm and making sure that nothing bad happened.  She looked at me and said, "I miss him something awful, but I'm too young to die.  I'll see him again someday, just now is not the best time you know."

Wow and yes, I know.  Thanks Jason.  I miss you too, but it's nice knowing someone is up there going to bat for us during stormy times (weather related or not).

No comments:

Unexpected Wisdom: Hearing Life's Messages in the Unlikeliest of Places

 It's been a little over a year when I made a decision that put me on a path of rediscover.  I recently had an encounter with a former a...