Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Power of Pa

Yesterday when I went to pick up Jack from school, I was informed that he'd been written up (in the after school program).  It was then explained to me what had happened.  Basically Jack took something from another kid's backpack, said it was his, finally fessed up, was sent to the homework table to work on his homework and insulted a little girl while there.  Now, it's my understanding the little girl was riding Jack's butt about getting in trouble and making fun of him a little bit, but she pestered him to the point of him saying something he shouldn't have and then he got caught.  So, knowing that we'd had this conversation several times, obviously with no affect, I called in the big guns. 

Normally, Jason would have handled this but because things are the way they are I called his dad.  Now, Pa and Jack have a very special kind of bond.  Mainly it's because they spend so much time together, but it's a strong bond none-the-less.  Jack was totally fine in the car until he heard me say, "Hey Pa."  Then it started: the begging and pleading not to tell Pa.  I explained to Pa what had happened and that Jason would normally have taken care of it, that I felt it was time Jack had to deal with another man on the subject.  The whole time, Jack is trying to talk and/or yell loud enough so that Pa can't hear what I'm saying.  It was great!  I then asked Pa if he could come over and talk to Jack later, which he said would be okay. 

As soon as I hung up the phone Jack began asking questions.  What's he going to do?  Is he going to send me to military school?  He's going to spank me, I know he is?  Do you know what happens when Pa spanks your butt? He begged me, and I mean begged, constantly until Pa came if I'd call Pa and find out what he was going to do.  After the ortho appointment, Jack began coming up with ways he could pad his bottom so it woudlnt' hurt as badly when he got spanked.  Of course, Caroline was helping him by finding fault with all of his plans so he could find a better way.  She seriously was trying to help him out, so I guess she's seen what a Pa spanking is like.

When Pa arrived, Jack went and sat on the couch when I asked (which was TOTALLY out of character).  They sat in the den while Caroline and I watched the Barbie Fashion Fairy Tale movie she just got.  I listened in a couple of times and all I heard from Jack was, "Yes, sir.  No sir.  It's all about respect sir."  I was shocked!  Normally he would be crying and pleading and back-talking which would of course make it worse.  Jack was very respectful and kind after that.  I was floored.  He even showed Pa his Wednesday folder work (which other than the 43 he got on a math paper, were quite impressive).  They talked about that as well. 

So, I have found my new secret weapon when it comes to dealing with Jack.  There is nothing more powerful or awe-inspiring than watching Jack and Pa interact.  Never underestimate the Power of Pa.

Unexpected Wisdom: Hearing Life's Messages in the Unlikeliest of Places

 It's been a little over a year when I made a decision that put me on a path of rediscover.  I recently had an encounter with a former a...