Tuesday, August 17, 2010

What do you want?

The question came about yesterday that we were asked to think about and answer.  The question was, "What do you want most for the children when they leave your classroom?"  Of course we were not given much time to think, but I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on what I want for them.  Here's my list:

*I want them to be able to think for themselves.  I never answer a question from a student right off the bat.  I always ask a question in return.  The student and I will always get into a conversation that guides them to finding the right answer.  9 times out of 10, they already know the answer.

*I want them to have confidence in themselves as students and people in general.  I know what it feels like to be smart but not think you are, and I don't want students to go through their schooling as long as I did not being confident.

*I want them to know I care, but that I will push them to be their best.  It's not because I don't like them, but it's because I believe in them. 

Teaching for me is like being a parent.  They don't know what they have until they're off on their own.  This past summer, a mom texted me to let me know that her daughter had wanted to call and thank me.  Apparently, in the math class she was taking to help her transition to Pre-AP math there were several instances where the students in the class didn't know the answer or how to find the answer.  But all of the kids from my class did.  She wanted to say thank you for being so hard on them.  I wasn't hard on them, I just set the bar high and expected them to try and get there. 

*I also won't give them what they want, when they want it. They have to work for it.

My first year of teaching I had a student stand up in class and call me a B**ch.  I thanked him for the compliment, I worked hard at it and was pleased someone had noticed it, and then asked him to sit down.  He did and finished the assignment (and made an A on it).  Later he asked me why I hadn't sent him to the office, and my reply was, "Because that's what you wanted.  I wanted you to finish the assignment because I knew you could do it.  You didn't want to do it, but you did and you did awesome on it." 

When I remind students to do their best on their assignments and tests, I usually get one who asks what I'll give them if they do.  My response is always the same, "Doing your best is not a measurable idea.  Only you know what you can do and if you did your best.  If you're honest with yourself and do your best, then things will be fine.  If you still want me to give you something, then I'll give you my respect.  How does that sound?"

So that is what I want for them.  You know what?  I usually get it by the end of the year.

No comments:

Unexpected Wisdom: Hearing Life's Messages in the Unlikeliest of Places

 It's been a little over a year when I made a decision that put me on a path of rediscover.  I recently had an encounter with a former a...