Wednesday, August 18, 2010

What Else Was I Going To Do?

Every school year, the week before is a time for meetings and in services and time to prepare your room for the kids.  There is one ritual that I find quite hilarious.  You see, in the district in which I work, 6th grade is in the elementary.  Last year, the state revamped their Language Arts TEKS and this year they adopted a new Reading textbook.  So, it only makes sense that the week before school starts, the district would train their teachers in the new book.  Last year, for the Language Arts TEKS (herein after referred to as the ELARs) everybody had to go, regardless of what you taught.  Now, I didn't mind too much because I also teach Science.  So I could integrate many of the Language Arts ideas into science lessons.

However, this year I really couldn't figure out why I was sent to the reading adoption workshops.  I mean, really?  I won't use the textbook at all.  The reasons they gave were pretty funny.  But in reality, the ladies who ran our session understood completely the situations.  I participated often, but a majority of the time it was strictly reading.  So I made the most of the situation, and participated when I could and read my Nook when I couldn't.

The God's were smiling and caused the Internet service to go down in the district.  So we were able to go home early.  I wish they wouldn't do that.  It's a waste of my time and I know a lot of other people think that as well.  But what else was I going to do?  The math curriculum hasn't changed that much, so I can pretty much just do what I did last year, but tweak it a little bit. 

Oh well.  Tomorrow is a full day in my room.  So that's exciting.  I don't have that much to do.  I didn't take much down last year.  I'll probably even finish getting the toolboxes ready. Who knows? A whole 8 hours to work in my room is heaven.

No comments:

Unexpected Wisdom: Hearing Life's Messages in the Unlikeliest of Places

 It's been a little over a year when I made a decision that put me on a path of rediscover.  I recently had an encounter with a former a...