Monday, August 16, 2010

At last My Dream (at work) Has Come True!

Today was the first day back to work for the 2010-2011 school year.  I wasn't looking forward to it, particularly because I got used to napping in the middle of the afternoon. Ha! Many people say teachers get paid enough because they get summers off and they don't work for 12 months.  Well, I got news for you on that one!  I consider my summers a sort of combat pay!

But I digress.  Sorry.  So we went back today (1 day early to work of the Wednesday before Thanksgiving--my district is one of the few that don't take the whole week which is a total whip!).  Anyway, again, I digress.  Pardon me.  During one of the breaks, it was mentioned that we were going to have certain shirts for each day of the week.  That caught my attention.  After listening to the description of the program, it sounded more and more like uniforms.

 Let me give you some background as to why I liked that:  When I first started teaching in the district that I'm working in now there was a big controversy over school uniforms.  I personally like them because it puts kids on an even playing field.  Anyway, that first year, the PTA at the school I was at decided that they would make it "optional" for uniforms and would encourage teachers to participate.  We were told that we could wear our shirts everyday with khaki pants, or skirts (of course, jeans on Friday).  I jumped in whole heartedly to that endeavor.  I bought one color of each shirt and promptly went out and bought khaki pants and skirts.  Getting dressed in the morning was the most awesome thing because my only decisions were: red, black or white shirt, and khaki pants or a skirt?  I LOVED IT!

Fast forward to now: At my school we will have a shirt for the day.  It's actually a color for each day.  Getting the shirts will cost some money, but in my opinion it's well worth it.  And the best part is: I can wear jeans on those days if I so choose.  Don't worry I won't, it gets old after a while.  But the thought of being able to if I want to is awesome!  Some of the teachers were complaining about the idea, but they won't get sympathy from me on this point. 

Someone once asked me what my ideal job would be.  My reply? Any job where I could wear jeans every day! My dream has come true at work.

No comments:

Unexpected Wisdom: Hearing Life's Messages in the Unlikeliest of Places

 It's been a little over a year when I made a decision that put me on a path of rediscover.  I recently had an encounter with a former a...