Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Big Day

Today was a big day. For starters Jason had his meeting with Jack's teacher and principal. We are finding that his new school is nothing like his old. I am still feeling guilty about moving him and angry at why we had to. His new school is very unorganized and lacking in several areas. But there's nothing I can do but help him navigate the year and do the best he can. I think several areas were covered and an understanding on several issues. Jason's relatively happy with it, so I guess I'll have to trust that he'd let me know if he thought there was anything wrong. I guess he's taking the wait and see approach. I hate that approach, but I guess that's why I'm a teacher still and not an administrator.

Surprisingly enough, Jack had a good day. His teacher indicated that he hadn't signed in the book, although Jack said he did at noon (that's what not having a communications folder will do). Either way, it was a good day. I think the main reason he had a good day is because we put together a communications folder example for his teacher. He had to show it to her, so he knew she'd be communicating with us. In it there were the expectations for what was expected of him and a place where she could put comments about how he did during the day. Example: she could put "disrespectful to teacher - talking back" or "arguing" or "rolling his eyes" etc. She took it to the meeting and had other examples available. They agreed she'd start next Monday, but that gives him 3 more days to get on her bad side.

I know that he is not an angel and that he does things to test the waters. But he's been in a place that will work with him and take the time to get to know him. His teacher currently isn't doing that. When he does do good things there are not words of encouragement, she only points out what he does wrong.

Because I'm concerned about all of the things he is not going to get from her, I've spent the last 2 hours online looking at my district's 3rd grade curriculum and pulling activities and practice sheets to go over with him at home. Maybe this way I can work with him on things that he might be missing. The other benefit will be that maybe he has more confidence in himself and therefore more confidence in class.

The Big Day was somewhat anti-climactic for me.

No comments:

Unexpected Wisdom: Hearing Life's Messages in the Unlikeliest of Places

 It's been a little over a year when I made a decision that put me on a path of rediscover.  I recently had an encounter with a former a...