Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Pesky Metric System

As many of you know, the United States is one of only two countries that still uses the Customary system of measurement. The rest of the world uses Metric. Right now, I'm glad I'm a sixth grade math teacher (never thought I'd say that one). Why? Because we use both systems a lot in math and science class. But why am I glad you might ask? Because Canada is one of the many who uses Metric. So my knowledge of the metric system and how it relates to the Customary system has greatly been tested and refreshed so far.

How?
* The cars use km/h instead of mph. That was a time passer yesterday from the airport to the hotel.
* The treadmill was in km/h and distance was in km. That was fun trying to figure out exactly how far I'd walked. It actually took me a minute to remember the benchmarks I'd used in class to compare how far 1 km.
*The paper said the temperature today was supposed to be 23 degrees. Holy Buckets! Wait, a minute, I'm in Canada. That's really about 74 degrees F.

Just when I get good at making the conversions, it'll be time to go home. Oh well. It's fun right now.

No comments:

Unexpected Wisdom: Hearing Life's Messages in the Unlikeliest of Places

 It's been a little over a year when I made a decision that put me on a path of rediscover.  I recently had an encounter with a former a...