Saturday, July 25, 2009

My trip so far.

Okay. I'm currently 31,000 feet in the air on my way to Toronto. My older sister received a couple months free of the WiFi on board so we're using it. My day has been pretty good so far. The hand-off went relatively smoothly this morning. Jason and the kids dropped me off at my sister's house so we could go to the airport. Jack has been working on ways to get me to not go on this trip. He started off telling me that there is a lot of shooting in Canada. When that didn't work he changed his tactics to telling me that there were tornadoes in Canada. Of course both of those happen in Texas too, so he lost that argument. When he saw that that wasn't going to deter me from this trip, the last thing he said to me before we left was, "You can't go. I hate dad." YEAH RIGHT! Whatever.

When we got to the airport, Kirsten had made reservations for the Airport Valet (yes they have that now) to take her car. When we get back on Tuesday, they'll have her car waiting for us out front. COOL!!! When we got into the terminal we had to print off our boarding passes there since we were going international. She had the opportunity to upgrade, so she upgraded us from Coach to Business (code: First Class). Wow! As we were going through the security check the Baggage Police told Kirsten to put her bags in the checker to see if it was small enough to go into the overhead bins. What? DEJA VU! This happened to Jason and I when we went to California (see earlier blog). So Kirsten goes to put her bag in the checker and the Baggage Policewoman keeps reminding her to not push it down (yeah, right. You shove it into the overhead compartment anyway. What's the difference). She ended up taking out a couple of purses and an umbrella and I put it in my backpack. We're good. Security check went okay, no problems and we got onto our plane.

We are in the 5th row and it's cool. We were on the 18th row, and thank goodness she upgraded. Some kid in the back(somewhere near row 18 keeps screaming his head off). Since we're business class we got a meal and some drinks. I was getting worried when they went down the list for items that can be purchased. They're expensive. The upgrade has sure been worth it.

Our plane is a Super 80 so it's not really spacious but who cares! As we got onto the plane the steward is rushing everyone to their seats. "The sooner you get your items stowed and sit down we can depart." Yeah, right. So everybody sits down and then......we sit. And we sit, and we sit. Then the captain comes on and says, "We have (some group) out looking at the plane. They are calculating to see if we have too much weight. As soon as we get the okay we'll go." Apparently we've reached our weight limit for the plane. After getting the okay we get ready to go. That's when the captain comes back on and says, "Estimated flight time to Toronto is 2 hours and 31 minutes. There's a little bit of weather in the Great Lakes area so we're going to pick our way through it. We've been reassured of several airports in the surrounding area that will help us should we need to refuel." Say what? Okay. So we're heavy and it's a long flight..got it. Then as we take off, something keeps on beeping. The lights flicker just a little bit but nothing to worry about, right? Wrong. The captain comes back on the intercom and says, "Sorry about the lights flickering on take-off. We had a little generator problem. But don't worry, it's fixed." THEN WHY TELL ME AT ALL! Good Lord. Don't they know that IGNORANCE IS BLISS!

So now, we're humming along singing a song. We're working on what we're going to do when we get there. I think Kirsten suggested going to see Niagara Falls tomorrow. Pictures coming later!

No comments:

Unexpected Wisdom: Hearing Life's Messages in the Unlikeliest of Places

 It's been a little over a year when I made a decision that put me on a path of rediscover.  I recently had an encounter with a former a...