Monday, February 28, 2022

Shutting down the brain at night.

I know, based on my science classes, that the brain doesn't completely shut down at night.  That's why we dream.  However, sometimes, it would be nice if I didn't remember the dream.  I remember one conversation I had with my older sister about a dream she'd had that was really scary.  It was a little comical listening to the story, but I knew from experience that it was scary in the moment.  

The story goes...She was being chased by an unknown menace.  As she ran up the alley behind our house, she stopped and actually thought to herself..."Okay.  If this is a dream, I'll wake up."  And she stood there for a hot minute and waited.  When she didn't wake up she was like, "Oh well.  I guess this isn't a dream," and she continued running down the alley.

I have also heard that your brain will take ideas or emotions that you are experiencing at the time and incorporate them into your dream.  I understand the need for the brain to continue working, but when a dream leaves you emotionally drained when you wake up; that's defeating.  

There was no need for a Dream Translator last night.  With everything going on in the world and the need to convey an image of calm to my children so they don't panic with world events, my brain decided to express those worries in a dream last night.  If that were the only thing I was worried about, then the dream would've been less sad.  But it wasn't and my brain ran with it.  Darn thing!

I may need to look at doing Yoga or something before bed to help calm my brain.  Suggestion would be appreciated.

No comments:

Who would've guessed it?

  Jason used to say, "Don't worry honey.  It'll click for him someday."  Well, that "someday" happened in high s...