Sunday, July 14, 2019

The last "Check-In"...for now

When Jack was younger, we had a ritual.  He would announce he was going to bed, and I would tuck him in.  When his dad was still alive, he and I would switch off the duty.  As Jack grew older, this ritual continued. 

However, in junior high, it became known as a "Check-in".  We still did it most every night.  He would announce he was going to bed and ask, "Can you come check-in?" 

I would go to his room, sit on his floor, and we'd "check-in".  I'd find out about his classes, what was going on with his friends, listen to his worries (try hard not to solve all of his problems for him), and often discuss possible solutions to problems he'd been having, and sometimes we'd talk about if I thought his dad was proud of him. Then he'd say, "So.  What's been going on with you?" or "What happened at school today?"  We didn't get to do that all of the time.  Especially when he was mad at me for something.  When it was all said and done, I'd turn off his light and go on about my nightly routine.

Tonight was our last "Check-in" before he leaves for college for 2 weeks of summer football.  Of course, he'll be back at the end of July.  But then I'll only have one week with him before he officially goes off.  I know that we might return to our nightly "Check-ins", but some things will probably have shifted.  He'll be just a little bit more independent.  A little more confident in himself.  And a little bit less inclined to check in.

This is the way it's supposed to be.  This is what Jack's "village" has worked towards for the last 18 years.  I just thought I'd have more time.  But I don't, and it's time.  Time for him to journey out into the world and make a name for himself.  But deep down inside, a tiny voice whispers, "This was the last check-in...for now."

No comments:

Who would've guessed it?

  Jason used to say, "Don't worry honey.  It'll click for him someday."  Well, that "someday" happened in high s...