Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Red-Letter Day

Today was National Signing Day.  It was the day that Jack had been working towards since his dad died.  Shortly after his dad passed away, Jack suddenly became quite worried about me.  He started mentioning things like, "I won't go away to college mom.  That way you won't be alone," or "I am not going to go to my friend's house because I don't want you to be lonely."  When he began playing football, he then shifted his college goals to, "I'm going to work hard so that I can get a scholarship to go to school.  That way you won't have to worry about money."  He set that goal and today, he reached it.  He will be attending Southwest Baptist University in Bolivar, Missouri.  I can't say that he's going without me having to contribute something, but a huge weight has been lifted.  He asked me how I felt about all of this, and I responded with the following letter.  I figured that words would convey how I felt better than me saying it (I also wouldn't break down in tears).  So here's the letter that I gave to Jack tonight in honor of his National Signing Day....


"Dear Jack,

Wow!  This is definitely a Red-Letter Day.  Pa once told your dad and I, that naming you partly after him was a Red-Letter Day.  Red-Letter Days are the days that are the most important in one’s life.  Marrying your dad and having you and your sister are definitely in that category.  Today though, is another day I will add to that category.

I’m not sure when you decided that you’d go to college and play football and that you wanted to do it so that I wouldn’t have to worry about the money.  You’ve always understood that.  Getting you to this point was a struggle, to say the least.  However, once you realized how good you were, you renewed that drive.  I know you say that without me and your ‘village’ you wouldn’t be here.  And you’re partly correct.  However, once you saw what you were capable of, you were unstoppable.

I know you wish your dad was here, and people can say, “Oh, but he was.”  However, that’s not the same, and I am so sorry that I couldn’t give you that.  He wanted to make it long enough to see so much, and he tried.  You have often shown the same determination that he had.  You’re still growing in that regard, but I see it in you.  Staying the course is often difficult and daunting, and not giving up is a habit that is developed.  You are on the right path, you just need to stay the course. 

When it seems like you can’t do more or you don’t want to do more because you’re tired, just remember the goal.  Just because someone is gunning for your position doesn’t mean they’ll get it.  It’ll just show you that you want it more. 

The song your dad and I sang to you at night is so appropriate, “You Are My Sunshine” is very appropriate to explain how proud I am of you. 
·      You are my Sunshine, My only Sunshine…”. Well, you and your sister are. 
“You make me happy, when skies are gray…” You bring me such happiness knowing that you’ve made the decision that is best for YOU.  My mom heart is so happy that you are making decisions based on what you feel is best for you. (Jeremiah 29:11 11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”)

·      You’ll never know dear, how much I love you…”. Well, until you have your own kids, then you’ll understand.  Seeing you grow into a fine young man, take on the challenge of paying for college through sports/academics, and spreading your wings, is such a joy. (You are far more precious than jewels. Proverbs 31:10)

·      Please don’t take my sunshine away.  Just because you go to Missouri, doesn’t mean you’re gone away.  It just means you’re farther away.  Stay happy (there will be down times), but do not despair.  You are loved beyond measure. (1 Peter 5:7 – Cast all of your anxiety on him because he cares for you.)

You are one of my greatest accomplishments, and my greatest joys.  Remember who you are, where you came from, and that you are stronger than you think, even in times of darkness.

Today was a Red-Letter day.  The first of many for you.  I am so proud of you, and I am glad to be your mom.

No comments:

Who would've guessed it?

  Jason used to say, "Don't worry honey.  It'll click for him someday."  Well, that "someday" happened in high s...