Monday, October 4, 2010

D is for...

Okay, so I'm taking the kids to football practice last Thursday.  For some reason neither of my kids can sit in the back without playing around and then, eventually, hurting each other.  So on Thursday as we're heading to practice (during rush hour) I start to hear the rumblings of a disaster.  Apparently, Jack wanted to share the blanket that Caroline had brought.  She, of course, didn't want to share (because she knew full well his idea of "sharing" is to slowly take the thing).  So as the storm brewed, I warned Jack to keep his hands to himself.  Of course, he didn't and kept pestering Caroline.  Finally, we got to a stop light and I turned to look at him and told him to keep his hands off of the blanket.  When he responded that it was his blanket, and continued to argue I popped him on the leg (this usually helps him realize he's bad mouthing and pulls him back to reality).  He IMMEDIATELY started crying and yelling, "Child Abuse!".  After letting him calm down enough to talk to, I explained that I got his attention because he was being "disrespectful" and I don't tolerate it.  I gave him examples of how he was being disrespectful and moved on.

After driving a little ways, Jack said, "Sorry."  I always ask him to specifiy what he's sorry for, because sometimes "sorry" doesn't fix it.  He said he was sorry I slapped him, then he said, "Now it's your turn."  HA!  I reminded him that that's not what got him popped on the leg, and he needed to tell me what that was for.  He responded he didn't know, so I told him to think about it.  By this time, Caroline was hiding under her blanket.  At last, I told him I'd give him a hint as to what the reason for the apology should be about.  I said, "Jack it starts with a D." 

At this point Caroline's hand pops out from underneath the blanket and she says, "OOOHHHH!  OOOOHHH! I know, I know."  "Yes Caroline, what is the word we're looking for?" 

"DUMBASS," she explains happy as can be.  Um, no that wasn't the word we were looking for.  She's right, it starts with a "D" but that wasn't it.  Jack remembered it was 'disrespectful", so maybe it was a good thing she blurted it out.

I kinda walked right into it.

No comments:

Unexpected Wisdom: Hearing Life's Messages in the Unlikeliest of Places

 It's been a little over a year when I made a decision that put me on a path of rediscover.  I recently had an encounter with a former a...