Monday, October 4, 2010

Dick's Sporting Goods.

Jack's latest obsession: Paintball.  I have absolutely no clue as to why this has all of a sudden become the obsession de jour, but it has.  He has pestered me, and I mean PESTERED me, to go look at the stuff.  I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this one simply because of the concept.  I was okay with laser tag because, hey, it's just laser light.  Paintball is a little different.  You actually get shot with something.  So, I have given Jack another research project.  He must do a research project on paintball.  He has to look up several different topics and write a paper on it (he had to do this when he wanted a lizard) and if he is persuasive enough I'll consider it (stinks having a mother as a teacher and being in 4th grade where you're tested in Writing). 

So, he's been obsessing over this for about a week.  He speaks of nothing else but going to look at paintball stuff.  Last Thursday night he was looking on the Internet for some stuff.  He came back and got me and said, "Mom, I need you to come fix something for me."  I asked if it was an emergency and his response was, "Umm, YEAH."  I was wondering why his face was beet red and he wouldn't make eye contact with me.  As we're walking down the hall he says this, "At football practice tonight one of the boys mentioned that he got his stuff at Dick's Sporting Goods.  I tried to find the web page but I couldn't find it.  I need you to fix the computer."  I asked him if he'd Googled the web page and his response was, "No." 

At this point it's becoming clear what probably happened. As I get to the computer and look at the screen my suspicions were confirmed.  As I look behind me, I can see Jack has covered his eyes and is not looking (as much as a 9 year old boy can keep from looking) at the pictures that have graced the screen as a result of his search for Dick's....Sporting Goods.  He was right, he didn't find the sporting goods website.

Oh well, it was a good lesson on web searches.

1 comment:

MJP & SJP said...

That is hilarious! Has Jack played paintball yet? I hear those things hurt pretty good when you get hit. I also think that stuff isn't that cheap. I think the paintball courses may rent the equipment. You may want to check that out and have him play some and see if he really likes it before plunking down the money on it.

Unexpected Wisdom: Hearing Life's Messages in the Unlikeliest of Places

 It's been a little over a year when I made a decision that put me on a path of rediscover.  I recently had an encounter with a former a...