Saturday, August 14, 2010

That was fun! (and I mean it)


This morning was my first group run at White Rock Lake. I haven't been to White Rock Lake in years. I used to Rollerblade down the path that went from Royal/Greenville Ave to White Rock Lake and then turn around and go back, but I hadn't been to the actual lake in years.

I had a difficult time sleeping last night for several reasons, and getting to train with a group of people that had the same goal as me was one of those reasons.  So I got up at 5:30 (yes, on a Saturday) and got ready to go down there.  It was still somewhat cool when I got there, but you could tell it was going to be a hot and sticky day.  However, there was still a ton of shade and there was a really nice breeze coming off of the lake.  The goal today was 4 miles and I kept up with my group for the first 3, but then had to periodically stop to get my heart rate back to normal.  Then I'd start running again.  I ran a total of 3.5 miles and walked the last .5 miles.  I was so stoked!  Even though I collapsed in my car when I got done I felt wonderful.  I have found another thing to solidly add to my list of fun things to do. 

My junior high track coach would've been proud of me.  He always told me I should have stuck with long distance running, but I thought he was crazy and continued with soccer (don't worry, I was the goalie so I didn't have to run as much).

No comments:

Unexpected Wisdom: Hearing Life's Messages in the Unlikeliest of Places

 It's been a little over a year when I made a decision that put me on a path of rediscover.  I recently had an encounter with a former a...