Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Macation 2010 in Review


Well, we're home from San Antonio.  This year I went with my sisters and kids on Macation.  All in all I think the trip went well.  My sisters and kids flew down on Sunday and came back today.  I drove down with all of the luggage and paraphernalia that would be required for Macation.  My sister in law flew down Monday evening and rode back with me today. 

Before I get into the actual details of the trip, here is what I found out personally.  It made me sad for the kids.  There were families there with both parents.  I can't tell you the number of, "Hey dad!" I heard.  It made me a little sad for the kids.  Jack was a little hard to get along with on the first day, but what I came to the conclusion of is that he missed having his dad.  Of course, Jason hadn't been down to San Antonio in about 4 years, but it was the fact that he wasn't anywhere that got to Jack.  He couldn't call his dad and talk to him. 

Overall though I had a lot of fun and so did the kids.  We had a good system going.  Sara stayed in the room after Sunday and so the kids could go back and forth from the room to the Lazy River and back when they wanted to.  The one most surprising thing was on Monday morning, Jack went back to the room at about 1:30 in the afternoon to "rest".  He and I slept on the sleeper-sofa in the sitting room, Kirsten and Sara were in one room, and Caroline and Dana were in the adjoining room.  It worked out great because Jack woke up early and so did I.  We would get our suits on and go have breakfast and then be at the Lazy River when it opened at 8:00 a.m. and save our chairs in the shade.  He and I would float around until about 10 when Kirsten and Caroline came down.  By 1:30, Jack would head up to the room to rest and then at 3:30 when Caroline was ready to "rest" she'd go up to the room and Jack would come back.  We would have dinner in the room and then go back to the Lazy River for S'mores at 7.  Caroline wasn't in to the movies really, but did go back on Tuesday evening to watch "Tinker Bell"

There weren't any real melt-downs after we had our routine down.  It was actually a great system.  The funniest thing was when Jack realized that the Smoothies that were available at the "River's Bend" weren't free.  He thought they were so he got a bunch of them.  He felt really horrible when he found out Kirsten was charged for each one.  I think he's thinking he'll give her some of his allowance to cover all of the Smoothies.

I really had a great time, and I liked the way we did it.  Macation 2010 was a success!  Thanks M'Kirsten.  You're the best!

No comments:

Unexpected Wisdom: Hearing Life's Messages in the Unlikeliest of Places

 It's been a little over a year when I made a decision that put me on a path of rediscover.  I recently had an encounter with a former a...