Sunday, May 16, 2010

My Grandpa was right...

There is no good time to die. I can't remember how this topic came up one day in Chickasha, Oklahoma. I was visiting my grandparents who had begun their decline at that point. Beginning at age 85 my grandparents were in the hospital off an on until their deaths at 91 and 90.

My grandpa and I were sitting in their living room and all of a sudden he said, "You know. There really isn't a good time to die." He could sense my confusion so he continued. He explained that since he'd gotten older he'd thought about it often. He decided that there wasn't a good time (for the ones left behind) to die. "You see," he explained, "December is Christmas. That'd be downright depressing for a loved one to die at Christmas. However, it'd be magnificent to go to Heaven at Christmas. Then February brings your birthday, your sister's birthday, and Granny's birthday. March is St. Patrick's Day, April is Easter, May is Mother's Day, June is Father's Day, July is Independence day, August is your mom's birthday and Sara's birthday. September is Labor Day, October is Halloween, Thanksgiving is in November, and then you're back at December." That first year without someone is the hardest, especially the anniversaries and birthdays he told me.

He was right. For those left behind the first year sucks. May has been especially hard for me. The 2nd was his birthday, then came Mother's Day, and now my anniversary is tomorrow. The kids and I and Jason's sister and Kirsten are going to go to Main Event for Monday Night Madness. All you can play laser tag and bowling for $10 per person. We're going to celebrate, the best way we know how.

No comments:

Unexpected Wisdom: Hearing Life's Messages in the Unlikeliest of Places

 It's been a little over a year when I made a decision that put me on a path of rediscover.  I recently had an encounter with a former a...