Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Things I don't like about my job...

Most people think being a teacher is a piece of cake. That is until they try it for a day or so, then they change their minds. I look at teaching as seeing what the future holds for us (since these kids are our future) and sometimes it scares the living hell out of me. Here are a few examples of why...

* Parents today want to be their kid's friends. Now don't get me wrong, parents should be their kid's friends. However, it's like Jason and I are trying to teach Jack and Caroline: We're your friends, but we're not friends your age. You can tell us anything, and ask for advice, but don't talk to us like we're your age because we're not. That is a hard line to walk, but it's an important one.

*Most kids I see in the grade I teach feel entitled. Like: "You owe me something great because I showed up to school today." Most kids in my class get irritated when I call them on it, and point out it is they who should be happy I showed up at work today. They'll learn something for later. Often times it makes for good conversation at lunch, each teacher pointing out what happened that morning that just made them shake their heads. For example, one of my student's parents called me and said that I hadn't sent the Science Fair information home. Well, actually yes I had, 3 weeks ago. It went home in their child's Wednesday folder, then again stapled to their planner (which the parent had signed). Also, the students put in their planners the dates when things were due. So, I'm sorry--don't blame me.

*We're having an awards assembly this Friday. EVERY KID gets an award. Yes, that's right, EVERY kid. That's fine for grades K-3 (in my opinion - build up their confidence), but Sixth? I don't think so. Not everybody is going to win, this way every kid EXPECTS something. Which then translates into the workforce when an employee expects to be patted on the back because they turned in a project on time. Big Whoopty-Do. You're SUPPOSED to do that, it's your JOB for crying out loud!

* Perfect example of why everyone shouldn't get an award:
This past week I gave my sixth graders a choice of where to sit (sort-of). They had to create a list: On one side 3 people they haven't sat with so far this year. On the other side a list of all the students who they couldn't sit by (not because they didn't like them or couldn't work with them, but because they'd get in trouble talking if they did sit by them). Well, everyone turned in a list because they were being given a choice. I was surprised (but not totally) that one kid's name turned up on every body's "I can't sit by" list. Why? 1). Because this child CANNOT focus for the life of him (mom refuses to take him to the doctor to see if he can get help focusing). I don't think it's a matter of he can't sit still long enough or he hasn't been expected to, the boy just can't focus bless his heart. 2) He blurts out in class --off topic, stupid things. This is to mainly cover up the fact that a) he hates silence, and b) he doesn't know the answers. He thinks that by blurting out something stupid or funny it'll cover up the fact he doesn't know an answer. 3) when he should be working by himself he talks to people around him. He doesn't want to do the work, he won't even turn in his homework. I'm tired of staying after school EVERY day so this kid can sit in my room and do homework that he's fully capable of doing because if he doesn't I won't get it back. I'm not his mom, I'm trying to help him but he isn't helping back. Does that make sense. So as a result he's by himself, in the front. AND STILL I HAD TO GIVE HIM A DEMERIT (THEN A DETENTION) BECAUSE HE KEPT TURNING AROUND AND TRYING TO TALK TO THE ROW BEHIND HIM WHEN HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN WORKING ON HIS OWN!

So here's the conversation I had with him today: Okay, look. Here's the assignment, did you do it? (No, he did the wrong page). Now at the awards assembly on Friday everyone is going to get an award. Here are the awards we have so far (I list them out: A honor roll, A/B honor roll, perfect attendance, Most improved in Math, Science, Reading, and specials area). Now which one do you think you deserve? I was impressed that he actually sat and appeared to be thinking about it. He couldn't tell me one, which I agreed with him. I admitted it was hard to decide what award to give him, and I listed my reasons. His assignment was to think of which award he deserved and be prepared to tell me why tomorrow. I he made a good argument, he'd get that award. But as of right now the only one I can think of is "Tallest Kid in Class".

*Not every kid deserves an award. They need to set goals and strive for one. Jack didn't get an academic award the last go round at his school. It made him mad, but you know what? He set a goal for himself and achieved it. Every time I'm told that every kid in my class deserves an award I remember the girl from last year (the one who this year got arrested for shoplifting--with her mother and older sister, who I also had two years ago).

When this girl's name was announced and the award was read off, the entire sixth grade either giggled or outright laughed because they knew it was bogus. So what's worse: Not getting an award because you don't deserve it or getting an award and having people laugh because they know you don't deserve it?

That's just a sampling of why on some days it's depressing to see what lies ahead of us in our future. But then I look at the good things they do. But that's another blog.

No comments:

Unexpected Wisdom: Hearing Life's Messages in the Unlikeliest of Places

 It's been a little over a year when I made a decision that put me on a path of rediscover.  I recently had an encounter with a former a...