Thursday, January 21, 2010

My kids are learning and important lesson: I don't like surprises.

So, the morning is going just about right --we're late getting out of the house. I'm backing out of my driveway when I hear a metal "POP". Jack declares we've hit a rabbit (they're everywhere in our neighborhood), but I assure him that rabbits don't make that sound when you hit them. Thank goodness he didn't ask me how I knew that (I don't but I'm assuming it's just like any other animal that size)! I get out of the car and look around as best I can in the dark, but I don't see anything out of the ordinary. I move the car forward just a little bit to see if something was lying under the car, nothing. So I head down the driveway.

As I'm driving, I realize that the slight tilt in my steering wheel that I had yesterday was gone. I knew I'd needed to get my car aligned again, but didn't have the time to do it, I was planning on going on the weekend. I was upset because I'd just had it done in December. But my thoughts were interrupted by the car swerving to the left, and it felt like I was sliding on ice but there wasn't any. The problem corrected itself and I turned out of the neighborhood. It still feels like it's slipping on ice and now my steering wheel twelve o'clock is at 3 o'clock --that's not right. As we turn on to another street I notice that it's getting harder and harder to control the car and that people are switching lanes to get away from me. My wheels are shaking something horrible and there's a whistling sound (you know like there's a rod somewhere underneath with a hole in it and as the wind travels through it it whistles?). Not good either. I finally get the kids to my in-laws and call and leave a message with Jason to call me. I'm worried about getting to work in the car and how much it's going to cost. My mother in law sees my worry and inquires, which then sends me into tears because a)I'm tired, b) I'm worried (about more than just the car). She immediately tells me that I can use her car, so I go out and start to unload my car.

Jack comes out and he's like, "Mom, it'll be okay. I know the car has to be fixed. If you need it, I've got $29."

I thank him but explain that his money is for him to spend on him. The car will be fine. I go in and Pa ends up taking me to work and he's going to take the car up to the neighborhood shop. Jason calls later and explains it's a broken subframe. Anybody heard of that one?...Neither had I. We filed an insurance claim on it, so luckily we won't have to pay the total cost. My insurance company is providing the rental car, the part's been ordered, so now we're waiting on the adjuster to go out and check out the damage.

So since my day started out like that, it was no surprise that when I got to work and found a nasty email from a parent I was in no mood for pleasantries. Luckily, I waited until the end of the day emailed my response and went along with my business. My principal kept asking if I'd responded, but since I didn't have my computer (virus) and wasn't going to have it for 3 days I had to wait until a break to respond. Since the email was totally ludicrous I had to carefully plan my response so as not to blatantly tell him to back off (I think I did it diplomatically). I explained my situation: no computer, broken car, thousands of dollars that I don't have required to fix it if the insurance doesn't cover it, more treatments for Jason and his GVH, and the fact that I'm running out of time before the Science benchmark to teach science requirements and I'm losing my science time 3 out of the 4 days this week it was better I not respond until the end of the day when I had had a chance to think about my response. She totally agreed.

It'll be fine, it's just right now it seems overwhelming. Silver lining--I only have to pay $200 to get it fixed. Insurance will cover the rest.

No comments:

Unexpected Wisdom: Hearing Life's Messages in the Unlikeliest of Places

 It's been a little over a year when I made a decision that put me on a path of rediscover.  I recently had an encounter with a former a...