Thursday, December 17, 2009

What goes around comes around

When I was little, I used to have to be bribed to play Barbies with my younger sister. I HATED Barbie. I was more of the athlete person than doll person (however, my collection of stuffed animals was HUGE!). I just didn't like playing with dolls. So one day, I got tired of playing Barbies with my sister. I always had to be Ken, or some other insignificant character in Barbies' life and I had had enough.



So one day, Ken (aka: me) had had enough. He gave a pretty good speech (he couldn't write it down since he wasn't real). He went on about how he was done with Barbie, and couldn't stand being with her anymore. He was going to end it all! He got onto the elevator and traveled (with my help of course) to the top floor of the Barbie Townhouse - otherwise known as "the roof" and proceded to jump off and commit suicide. This TICKED off my younger sister and she banned me from playing Barbies with her (DARN IT!). :) All I had to look forward to was a future without Barbie.



That is, until September 8, 2003. On that wonderfully, bright, sunny day my daughter Caroline was born. She has grown into a wonderful little girl who is just the right combination of smart, funny, athletic, and girly. She has used Cinderella teapots as machine guns, climbed trees in a dress, coordinates clothes for not only herself but her mother, LOVES to wear my shoes and jewelry, does daredevil tricks on her scooter, will wrestle her brother - and knows where to get him where it hurts, loves horseback riding, and gets sarcasm. But the one thing she loves above all else is....you guessed it! Barbie.



I have it on good authority from Santa Claus that she will be getting the new 2009 version, 3 story, 3 foot high Barbie Townhouse for Christmas. It has everything that the 1977 version didn't have - a rooftop spa, a doorbell sound, and yes the ever important to a Barbie Townhouse - flushing toilet sound. It was very hard to find, according to Santa. I'm sure on Christmas Day my younger sister will be over here playing with Caroline.

Oh well. Lesson learned.

1 comment:

MJP & SJP said...

Sounds pretty nice! Granite countertops also?

Unexpected Wisdom: Hearing Life's Messages in the Unlikeliest of Places

 It's been a little over a year when I made a decision that put me on a path of rediscover.  I recently had an encounter with a former a...