Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The PC term is: Truth Telling, No Holds Barred Mood

One of my characteristics, good or bad, is that I get crabby when I'm hungry. My temper is short and most things get on my nerves. Knowing that I can get this way, I try not to miss any meals or snacks. Breakfast is usually not long after I wake up, and if I'm going to be out and about, I'll pack a snack in my purse. Unfortunately, sometimes it is unavoidable and (according to me) I try to do my best to be patient. Doesn't always work, but I try. My kids are the same way too, but they're younger and don't always do a good job dealing with it.

So today I had a doctor's appointment. It was with my endocrinologist and it was mainly to give blood so they could check and see if my medication was working okay (I had fast). I had to take the kids with me, so I was a little nervous about it. They took their DS's with them so that kept them occupied. The nurse was great when she took the blood sample. She used the smallest needle they had so it wouldn't hurt (so the kids wouldn't see their mommy cry) and it wasn't really that bad. Then she hit me with the good news: I was going to have to do a glucose test and some back in 2 hours for a blood draw. Now, if you're a woman who's had kids, you know exactly what I'm talking about. You drink this solution of basically pure sugar water (it kind of tastes like Orange Crush) and then two hours later you get your blood drawn to see how your body processed the sugar. If your body is back to normal then you don't have diabetes, if it's not then you do.

So I had to return 2 hours later (11:00 a.m.) to get my blood drawn. Needless to say I was hungry. The kids were starting to get on each other's nerves and Jack was piddling around when it was time to leave. I honked once to get him to come on, but he'd been on the computer and was trying to save something and then had to get his shoes on. He complained very loudly when he got into the car, and I basically told him how he was acting. Whenever the kids were arguing I'd get onto them and tell them exactly what I thought about that kind of behavior.

Jack then says, "Gosh mom you must be hungry. You're in a very crabby mood." Now, I could have said alot of things in response to that, but I simply told him, "I'm not in a crabby mood. I'm in a Tell-It-Like-It-Is mood."

I like that term. It sounds better.

No comments:

Unexpected Wisdom: Hearing Life's Messages in the Unlikeliest of Places

 It's been a little over a year when I made a decision that put me on a path of rediscover.  I recently had an encounter with a former a...