Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Life's Economic Lessons

Last night was Slushy night. Jack had golf and Caroline had dance. After they were done, we decided to go to QT to get a slushy. Jack was in an argumentative mood (he was a little hungry) and said he wanted to go to 7 Eleven to get a Slurpee. I told him that would be fine, but he only had $1 (I'd set aside $3 for the treats). He wasn't really keen about that, but went along with it. I went in with him and he went straight for the 22 oz Transformer cup. I pointed out to him that he only had $1, and the price chart showed that the 22 oz cup cost $1.29 so he didn't have enough. He'd have to get the smaller size (it was $0.99, but I could go get another 7 cents for tax). He was NOT happy about that. He kept saying he wanted the 22 oz Slurpee, but was mad he didn't have enough money.

I reminded him that if he went to QT he could get a 22 oz slushy for $0.89, that was 10 cents cheaper than 7 Eleven. His arguing stemmed from the fact that the QT's cherry was white and 7 Eleven's cherry was red and he wanted the red. He finally agreed that we would go to QT to get the slushyies, but he complained the whole way there.

When we got into the QT, he went straight for the slushies and looked at their prices. It showed that a 22 oz slush cost $0.89. He pointed out, however, that the 32 oz slush cost $0.69 so he could fill up his 32 oz cup with 22 oz of slushy and only have to pay $0.69. So I let him get the 32 oz cup. He filled it up a little more than 22 oz, but it was not a problem. Caroline did the same thing and got sour apple flavor (Eww). I got a diet coke from the fountain drinks. The whole cost of the drinks was $2.02. I told Jack that I had $2 left over so maybe we could come back on Friday or something. He thought that was a good idea, and pointed out to me that if we had stayed at 7 Eleven someone might not have gotten something to drink and we would have gotten less AND not had enough to come back again.

In the end, the whole point of the argument (Red cherry instead of White cherry) didn't matter. Jack got a Coke flavored slushy.

No comments:

Unexpected Wisdom: Hearing Life's Messages in the Unlikeliest of Places

 It's been a little over a year when I made a decision that put me on a path of rediscover.  I recently had an encounter with a former a...