Monday, July 25, 2011

The Lord Shall Lift Me Up...

Today was a funny day at church.  The kids were ready to go before I was.  I was dragging my feet because I hadn't slept well.  I had dreamt of my grandparents (mom's parents), and that made me sad.  My grandfather's been gone almost 14 years now, and my grandmother almost 11.  I had so much fun visiting with them in Oklahoma as a child and young adult.  Of course, life interfered and I didn't get a chance to go up as often as I would have liked.  I can still remember my Granny's interactions with the answering machine.  She always started off the message with, "Hey there.  It's me...Lillie Mae..." As if I couldn't tell that that sweet, high pitched voice was someone other than my Granny.  I also missed my best friend, Kevin.  I've gotten used to seeing him on the weekends, and I wasn't able to go to Austin and he wasn't able to come up.  So I was a little bummed.

Anyway, Sunday School began to lift my spirits up. We are watching a video about a man's journey to follow the path of the Bible in the first five books.  It's been quite interesting so far.  Yesterday we looked at the story of Joseph (you know the one with the fancy coat).  It was interesting to see the connection to things in Egypt and the story.

Then I went to church.  During the summers they ask the congregation to send in their favorite hymns.  Then, the music person selects verses from those songs and we usually sing one verse of four songs at the opening, and then one hymn at the end.  The problem I have, is that I recognize several hymns but I don't know their names.  Well, there were four out of the five that took me back to the Baptist church in Chickasha, Oklahoma.  I could see my grandfather standing next to me singing proudly and smiling at me as I watched him and listened to his voice.  It brought me a peace that I'd been struggling to find that morning, and it lasted all through the day.

What were they? The Old Rugged Cross, How Great Thou Art, Standing on the Promises, and What a Friend We Have in Jesus.

No comments:

Unexpected Wisdom: Hearing Life's Messages in the Unlikeliest of Places

 It's been a little over a year when I made a decision that put me on a path of rediscover.  I recently had an encounter with a former a...