Friday, March 18, 2011

Passion

I'm driving to my latest 5K with my daughter in the car (this was a few weeks ago), and she's in the back just rambling about whatever pops into her head.  All of a sudden she says, "Mom, I'm going to pack up my Barbies and give them to Goodwill." 

Whoa!!! Tap the breaks there.  What did she just say?  I mean, Barbies have been her world since she was a toddler.  We had to have everything Barbie.  Why, just two Christmas' ago she'd only wanted the Townhouse for Christmas.  And, I found myself saying, "Well, okay.  Why don't we just box them up and keep them for a little bit in case you change your mind. We can give any duplicate Barbies to Goodwill."  (Now that was saying something considering I despised Barbies growing up). 

I asked her why this change in direction in regards to toys and she responded, "Well mom it's like this:  Barbies just aren't my passion anymore.  I'm more passionate about Bayblades and Pokemon than Barbies.  I'd rather be out riding my bike or playing soccer.  Everyone should have a passion.  You know?"  Yeah, I know.  But I didn't expect my seven year old to talk about passion.  She went on to say that dancing just wasn't her passion either.  Tennis was, as is art.  So I guess we'll go in that direction and let her experience what is her passion. 

What's your passion?

No comments:

Unexpected Wisdom: Hearing Life's Messages in the Unlikeliest of Places

 It's been a little over a year when I made a decision that put me on a path of rediscover.  I recently had an encounter with a former a...