Thursday, March 17, 2011

Lawn Ettiquete

Okay, so something happened today that really made me mad.  It was such a pretty day, and I had to put out pre-emergent to help curb those pesky weeds so I decided to mow my yard.  My yard's not huge, but with weed-eating, edging and mowing (even when I don't bag it) takes a couple of hours.  I work hard so that my yard stays healthy and I'm very careful not to sweep clippings or leaves onto my neighbor's yards.  I will often use the blower and go about two steps onto my neighbor's property so that I can get any loose clippings and blow them onto my yard or into the street. 

With the seasons changing, my Live Oaks are shedding so I mow using the bag simply to make sure I get all of the leaves.  This adds on another hour since the bag can only hold so much and leaves take up space.  Not that it was hot today, but it was quite warm and with allergy season in full swing I was tired.  When I was 3/4 of the way done, the neighbor's lawn crew showed up.  They started blowing out the flower beds (which I did in mine as well) before they started mowing so they could catch the leaves as well.  When I made a pass to that side I noticed that my yard had a considerable amount of new leaves considering I had just mowed them up and it wasn't really that windy.  So I stood and watched something that made me really mad.  The lawn guy was blowing the neighbor's leaves into my yard and leaving them there!

Now, I know that's kind of a petty, small thing to get mad about, but I was mad.  But in my opinion, I had just spent the last 3 hours making sure my yard looked nice, was taken care of, and that no clippings or leaves had blown into either neighbor's yard.  For that man to just sweep those leaves onto my side and leave them made me a little mad.  I stood and watched him, and made sure I made eye-contact.  When he saw me looking at him, I smiled that, "I know you're going to blow those leaves back." smile.  He smiled back and went back to where he started and blew the leaves back onto the neighbor's yard.  Of course, I know that Mother Nature will put those leaves into my yard at the first big wind gust, but it's different when she does it than when a person does it.

Silly I know.

No comments:

Unexpected Wisdom: Hearing Life's Messages in the Unlikeliest of Places

 It's been a little over a year when I made a decision that put me on a path of rediscover.  I recently had an encounter with a former a...