Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Things I've learned recently.

1. 6th graders have a good sense of humor. At least this group does. One of the kids on the Recycling team came in all excited the other day and declared, "Mrs. H. look what I found by the dumpster!" He was proudly holding up a broom. My response, "I was wondering where I left that!" and hung it on the wall with a sign underneath that read, "My other car's a Cadillac." They all thought it was funny. One kid was willing to defend my good nature to the death when I informed him it was a joke. Now the kids will jokingly say, "Be careful. You don't want her to get her broom down."

2. My son struggles with spelling. Who doesn't? On his last spelling test he made an 82. One of the words he missed was "how". Now how can you miss how? He spelled it "How" not "how". His response, "Well, it did come at the beginning of her sentence."

3. Caroline has started writing poetry. They must be studying it in school, because the last two days she's come home with poems that I'm supposed to sit and listen to. Of course, I'm keeping every single one of them. They're all about spring, and how much she loves the season.

4. My boss came to me and showed me one my student's tests and declared, "He passed last year. He cannot fail TAKS this year." Ooookay. He made a 33 on the last benchmark test, I think he stands a really good chance.

5. I hate roller coasters (literally and metaphorically).

6. I'm glad my Internet is fixed. We were without it for 2 weeks, and I about came unglued with the carrier because they couldn't figure out the problem. I tried really hard to hold my impatience, sort of worked.

7. I'll be glad when April is over. Tis the season for TAKS. ITBS is harder.

No comments:

Unexpected Wisdom: Hearing Life's Messages in the Unlikeliest of Places

 It's been a little over a year when I made a decision that put me on a path of rediscover.  I recently had an encounter with a former a...