Friday, August 21, 2009

Meet the Teacher Night

Last night was Under Construction night at my school and the kid's. Luckily their meet the teacher was from 4-5 and mine was from 5:30-6:30 so I was able to go and meet the kid's teacher's. I wasn't worried about Caroline in any way shape or form. She was THRILLED that school would be starting soon and didn't even throw a fit when I showed up at Nana's house early to get them. After all, she was going to go see her room and meet her teacher. She even had her room number memorized and could tell you that room 101 was made up of 3 numbers: 1 - 0 - 1. When she passed by classrooms she'd say, "That's not my room. That's room 1 - 2 - 1. No 0." Jack on the other hand was nervous.

I had to meet Jason there and we decided to meet down by the kindergarten classrooms and see Caroline's class first. He wasn't there when we arrived so we waited. Jack grew impatient and asked if he could go down to his room and "check it out." By all means! He walked down the hall with such confidence you would have no clue how nervous he really was. Caroline and I walked through her room and checked out the cool fort where kids could climb up and read on special occasions. Her teacher was engaged in conversation with some really needy parents, so we left to go check out Jack's room. Dad was still not there so we went down to 3rd grade. Jack was already talking to a kid when we walked in. Apparently (Caroline's word of the week last week), the kid had been in Jack's class last year and his family moved so he was now in Jack's room. Whew, he'd at least know 1 kid.

The teacher came over and introduced herself and then said, "You know, you look very familiar." I agreed and said it had probably been in inservices or something and we went on talking about Jack. Turns out there are 4 kids in his class that he knows (1 kid he doesn't like and she doesn't like him) so he's feeling a lot more comfortable. Caroline and I left to go back down to kindergarten (Jack stayed behind to survey the kids that came in). After Jason got there, Caroline showed him her room and we got to talk with her teacher. Nice gal. She's young and seems like a good kindergarten teacher. We didn't ask too many questions, and then went down to Jack's room. My in-laws were already there and were checking out Jack's class. My father-in-law was in conversation with Jack's teacher and Jack was showing Grammy where he was sitting. Jack's teacher looked at me and said, "You know. I do know you from somewhere. Did you used to live on ________?" Yep, that was me. Turns out she and her family moved here from Canada while we still lived in Richardson before kids. They lived in the house behind us and had two boys. She said that they were sad when we moved because Jack had played with her youngest son. So there's a connection there that Jack thought was cool.

So all in all, things are looking good. Jack said this morning he was excited about school starting and couldn't wait. I feel better too.

No comments:

Unexpected Wisdom: Hearing Life's Messages in the Unlikeliest of Places

 It's been a little over a year when I made a decision that put me on a path of rediscover.  I recently had an encounter with a former a...