Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Canada Day 4 - The Hockey Hall of Fame

today was a good day. I'm in the airport waiting for my plane, but we had time to do the Hockey Hall of Fame and the Distillery.

The Hockey Hall of Fame was cool. I'm not a huge hockey fan, but we felt like we should go since we were in a city with a Hall of Fame. It was in a very unassuming building. The building reminded me of the Plaza of the Americas in Downtown Dallas. There were businesses and everything, but downstairs there were restaurants. And the Hall of Fame of course. It wasn't too bad to get into, only $15 Canadian dollars. I took tons of pictures. But the best had to be the Stanley Cup. We got to see the original one. It's locked in this vault, so it's very official. The Stanley Cup is out and you can go up to it and take pictures. Here's the part that absolutely stunned me: People were touching it! I mean, touching it, hugging it, etc. Now, I'm not a huge hockey fan but I always imagined the Stanley Cup as being a somewhat Holy Grail. The fact that people were touching it, hugging it, etc made me nervous. I mean, it's the Stanley Cup for goodness sakes.

After the Hall of Fame we went to the Distillery. The Distillery is just that, an old, abandoned distillery. In the old days they made whiskey, but now it's just a bunch of shops, art galleries, and restaurants. It's very cool though. Toronto has done a good job of preserving their old architecture. In the building that housed the Hall of Fame, there was a building face inside. They had made it a part of the newer building. It was very innovative.

So now I'm at the airport waiting to get onto my plane home. It's been a very fun trip, and I'm ready to see my family. Canada is definitely a place I'd like to come back to and visit. First with Jason and then the kids. You should go visit too, I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

No comments:

Unexpected Wisdom: Hearing Life's Messages in the Unlikeliest of Places

 It's been a little over a year when I made a decision that put me on a path of rediscover.  I recently had an encounter with a former a...