Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Back when a hoe was a hoe

I was listening to the song, "My Next Thirty Years" by Tim McGraw today.  I have it on iTunes and was listening to my iPod while entering grades today and there was a part in the song that reminded me of a funny story when I taught sixth grade awhile back. 

A male student came into the classroom after school one day and said that there was something written in one of the stalls about me that was mean.  I asked him what it was, but of course he wouldn't repeat it.  So after all the students had left the building, I had the custodian go into the boy's restroom and make sure no one was in there.  Then I went in (brave I know) and looked at what had been written about me. 

The next day when each of the classes entered my classroom they got their work out as usual.  While homework was collected and papers were sorted, the students had two sentences they had to correct for the Daily Oral Language.  One student raised their hand and questioned the second sentence. 

Student: "Um, Mrs. Huffman?  We can't correct the second sentence."
Me: "Why not?"
Student: "Um, because there's nothing wrong with it."
Me: "Well, now that's where you're incorrect.  You see, this sentence was written in the boy's bathroom about me.  And while I know who wrote it, I find it quite funny actually."
Students: "Why?"
Me: " Look at the first sentence: The pen is mightier than the sword.  What do you think that means?"

We discussed what the phrase meant and debated on whether or not it was true.  Most students, especially the boys, thought it wasn't.  But then I pointed out the second sentence.

Me:  "According to the second sentence: Mrs. Huffman is a hoe, I'm a garden tool."

The kids thought this was funny.

Me: "Now, do you think that's what they really meant?"  There was a resounding no.  "Now, I don't want you to really correct the sentence.  But I do want you to remember that what you say or write can often be used to formulate an impression of you by others.  The person who wrote this is very smart, they just can't spell, but someone who doesn't know this person might think they're not very smart because they can't tell the difference between a garden tool and the other kind.  Now get out your science books."

No comments:

Unexpected Wisdom: Hearing Life's Messages in the Unlikeliest of Places

 It's been a little over a year when I made a decision that put me on a path of rediscover.  I recently had an encounter with a former a...