Sunday, April 29, 2012

Memory Lane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ6_Yn5Ip6A

I haven't heard this song in AGES, but the minute I did I was transported back in time.  It's amazing to me how memories can be attached to songs.  I was driving home yesterday from Jack's Young Marine graduation (he's a private now), and heard this on The Highway radio station.  I think it was one of Lee Brice's top ten or something.  But I sang it while the kids sat silent and listened to the song. 

Of course there were endless questions when it was over and I enjoyed telling the story.  My mom listened to music she liked whenever we drove to my grandparent's house in Chickasha, Oklahoma.  It was a 3 and a half hour drive and she would listen to her eight tracks or whatever we had.  It was mainly Alabama and Dolly Parton.  There were some others, but this song sticks out in my mind. 

My music likes were definitely modeled after my mom.  My dad had an interesting repertoire, but I mainly listened to what my mom listened to.  It was a nice memory to share with my kids.  They thought it was funny, and the conversation went on forever since one explanation usually led to another.  Like, "What's an 8 track!?" Ha!  That was an interesting discussion.

No comments:

Unexpected Wisdom: Hearing Life's Messages in the Unlikeliest of Places

 It's been a little over a year when I made a decision that put me on a path of rediscover.  I recently had an encounter with a former a...