Thursday, July 14, 2011

Following in Mom's footsteps

There are 3 girls in my family, and we each had our own "specialties" you could say.  Sara got all the stitches, Kirsten had the eye surgeries, and I broke all of the bones.  The list is quite lengthy for the bones I have broken and fingers/toes jammed.  I was the athlete of the family and didn't hold back a whole lot.  People are always amazed at the list I can generate, and are often thankful that they made it their entire childhoods without a broken bone. 

I found out that Caroline broke her foot on vacation this year.  I was there when it happened.  She fell off some playground equipment at the resort and landed wrong.  So, as a result, she broke her foot.  She was feeling quite worried when we were sitting in the doctor's office waiting.  To reassure her it wasn't going to be a painful exam I started telling her about when I broke my leg when I was seven.  I broke my shin bone horizontally and vertically and had to wear a cast that went from my foot to the top of my thigh.  When the doctor said she wasn't going to need a cast, you could tell she was relieved.  She didn't want to wear a cast like mine for 8 weeks, and as it is she'll just need a stiff soled shoe for 2 weeks. 

However, as we were leaving the doctor's office she looked at me and said, "Well, mom, I guess there are worse people to be like."

Thanks.

No comments:

Unexpected Wisdom: Hearing Life's Messages in the Unlikeliest of Places

 It's been a little over a year when I made a decision that put me on a path of rediscover.  I recently had an encounter with a former a...