Sunday, October 25, 2009

I love my bed!

This weekend the Cub Scouts went on a camp out. On Friday, I headed home to trade cars with my father-in-law and we packed up his truck and the kids and I headed out to Dinosaur Valley State Park. We made pretty good time considering it was rush hour on a Friday. We left at 3:45 and got there at 5:45. When we got there we set up camp. After a quick dinner, the kids went to the scary stories lady (Caroline came back shortly after leaving) and then went to the Cracker Barrel. At about 9:30, I got Jack and Caroline and we got ready for bed. I had brought several sleeping bags and blankets because I knew it was going to get cold (I'd checked the weather and it was supposed to be 49 degrees). However, it got down to 38 degrees and the kids and I were cold! Caroline slept much better (and so did I) when she crawled into bed with me because she was cold. Jack, who is a human heat bucket, was fine. I thought I was just being a weeny and thought it was cold, but the other moms who got up early on Saturday agreed that it was COLD. We had to get up early on Saturday do drive back to Dallas to go to the last Flag Football game (7 of the 9 kids on the team were on the football team). Jack rode with the coach and the other boys on the team and Caroline and I rode with the other moms.

The talk of breakfast that morning was the howling coyotes. They howled several times during the night and it was so cold you would have thought they were right next to us.

Jack rode back with the boys on the team and Caroline rode back with the people we'd rode down with and I rode with Jason back to the campsite. Pa drove down in the afternoon as well to visit which I thought was nice. The kids went on a 2 mile hike and we hung out with the other parents. We had dinner at the Bear's campsite and then visited while the kids ran around, rode their bikes, played football, searched for fossils, and went from campsite to campsite looking for something to eat. We then went to went to the Pack meeting and watched the kids do their skits (I have several issues with some of the skits). Then, a really cool ceremony took place. The Pack retired several old flags. Caroline had a REALLY hard time with this. They took these old flags that couldn't be repaired and burned them. She was so upset with the first one that she started crying. I had to explain to her that that's what they were supposed to do with flags that couldn't be flown.

We then went back to the campsite and Caroline and I went up to the bathhouse so she could take a shower. We then went back to one of the other campsites and had smores. Caroline then went to 2 other campsites and had some more smores. The kids played until about 10:00 pm and then went to bed. It didn't get as cold as the night before, but our heater did come on. There were some other issues, but all in all it was fine. The kids got up around 7:00, but Jason and I slept until 8:00.

After breakfast, Jason and I went back to our campsite and took down our tent with the help of our site mates. We then helped them take down their tent, and packed up and got on the road about 11:30.

Now I'm home doing laundry so I can pack for the sixth grade trip to Sky Ranch tomorrow. We'll be gone until Wednesday and it's supposed to rain all 3 days we're there. Yuck!

No comments:

Unexpected Wisdom: Hearing Life's Messages in the Unlikeliest of Places

 It's been a little over a year when I made a decision that put me on a path of rediscover.  I recently had an encounter with a former a...